This Friday, October 21st, I am so excited to invite you to join me for a free talk and wellness event happening at Tancredi & Morgen of Carmel Valley, CA to celebrate the release of my e-book, "A Guided Journal For Your Day." There will be wine tasting from Boëté Winery, a DIY sugar scrub and herbal facial steam demonstration by Hanni Lilliedahl of Lilify, artisanal treats, and the opportunity to gather with our lovely community. I so hope you will join us! ( Click here for more details)
I will be touching upon great ways to tune into and give back to yourself, and how truly important it is not only for you but everyone in your life. Just in case you are unable to join us this Friday (and even if you are!), I wanted to give you some of my favorite self-care exercises to incorporate in your everyday. And because most of us are busy, and crave less going and doing instead of more, these specific exercises take 5 minutes or less. Don't be misguided by their simplicity, as they can truly shift your day as well as they way you see and experience your world.
My invitation to you is not only to come join me this Friday for a lovely opportunity to gather, but to incorporate some of the below ideas into your day to day. My wish is that these ideas will aid you in connecting more deeply with yourself and the happiness that you hold.
- Repeat an affirmation. Telling yourself something positive has immense effects. Not only does it allow you to practice focusing on all that you are, it helps you put out and therefore attract a higher vibration in your life. Stand in front of a mirror and look yourself in the eye or close your eyes and look within repeating a phrase such as: ‘I bring joy into my life’, I let go with grace’, ‘I honor my self-worth’, or ‘I make the choices to best support my health and wellbeing.’ Just try to stay away from using adjectives to describe yourself. Try, “I am beauty”, instead of “I am beautiful.” This practice helps to reduce the judgement, positive or negative, in our lives.
- Compliment someone, and truly mean it. Are there people in your life that you come across who you truly admire? I love the way my step-daughter takes an extra few minutes to heat up her dessert because it elevates her experience as opposed to just diving in. I love the way my sister sees so much good in everyone and how she loves hard without expecting anything in return. I love this certain bagger at the grocery store who, more times than not, has a brilliant, warm smile on her face. When you notice something extraordinary about someone, take the time to tell them. You will boost their day and put some pep in their step. Plus, you will strengthen your sense to see the beauty and amazingness in not only other’s lives, but in yours as well.
- Pray. Taking a moment out of your day to touch base with your spiritual side is a wonderful refresher. Not only does this tap into you spiritually, but it also sets an intention and focus for your life. For instance, if you are praying to have more energy, you are setting your intention and focus on that. The more you focus (and pray) for specific things in your life, the more likely they are to come true and be supported by the universe.
- Breathe. Focusing on or bringing attention to your breath is a simple way to let go of stress and wind down. Try the following exercise. Notice your breathe. Take a normal, easy inhale. Watch your breath on the exhale and pause at the end. Pause for as long as you can without forcing it. You will notice that your body will take over and naturally inhale when you are ready. Noticing these small (yet huge!) details in your life helps to bring you back to a slower, more relaxed state and allow you to experience this moment more fully.
- Allow essential oils to work for you. Essential oils are a great to aid your overall well- being. These oils are concentrated values of different plants, that when utilized correctly, have great medical value. Try citrus to lift mood, lavender to calm down and de-stress, and clary sage to balance hormones. You can defuse them in a room (you can purchase very affordable diffusers online), add them to your lotions and body oils, or put a few drops in your steamy shower.
- Laugh at something that would typically annoy you. I love this exercise especially for people who are convinced they do not have time for self-care. Sometimes self-care simply means a shift in how you choose to perceive things. Have you tried to laugh instead of be annoyed, compliment someone instead of reacting to their negativity, or focus on the good in any given situation? Sometimes self-care means being more aware of your perception and changing the way you view the world. The more you can practice this, the more you will see beauty and goodness in the world and in yourself.
- FORGIVE. In order to create space for the goodness you want in your life, you have to be able to let go. Whether you are holding onto anger towards yourself, a friend, or a family member, you need to start letting that anger go and make space for what you want in your life. So, try this. Sit down and take three deep breathes. Repeat to yourself: I forgive ______________. And repeat 10 times. Notice any shifts that you may experience. Keep returning to this exercise until progress is made and you notice that your heart feels lighter.
- Do absolutely nothing. In the midst of our going and doing and scheduling, sometimes self-care just feels like another item to add to your to-do list. Instead open space in your day with no expectation. Have nothing planned. This way when the time comes, you can tap into whatever you need to do to support yourself in feeling rejuvenated and whole. You may be inspired to do something on this list, or you may just need to sit and simply be. Whatever it may be in that moment, open up a part of your day (it could be 5 minutes or 5 hours) to spontaneously be present in a way that feels great to you. When we over schedule our lives, we end up missing what genuinely feels good and what we authentically need to thrive.
I hope these suggestions bring light to your day. And don't forget to join me at Tancredi & Morgen this Friday, October 21st from 4-6pm! I hope to see you there.