I mentioned in this post that I not an expert when it comes to happiness and joy, but I am a perpetual seeker of such things. The time in my life where I learned the most about how to uplevel joy in the day to day was when I lived abroad in France for a year. The French culture and its people taught me so much about finding joy in simplicity and it surprised me at the time how cherishing small, daily events could have such an impact on the way I experienced my life.
And to me, fall resonates as a perfect time to slow down, open our eyes a little wider, and re-focus on the beauty in the every day.
So here are 6 simple ways I have found that truly make a great impact on daily life + joy. And when we seek more joy? We come to know ourselves a bit deeper, we attract more goodness into our lives, and we have more energy. After all, Its not just the food on our plates that matters when it comes to health.
6 Ways To Find Joy in Simplicity
- Share meals with people who light you up. Sharing meals with people is one of the best ways to uplevel your day. Don't rush, enjoy the company, and taste every bite of food. Become deeply engaged and interested in what the people sitting with you have to say. Allow your senses to take over and you will feel fulfilled on so many levels. I know it may seem difficult to do this much of the time, but start small and make one meal today a more elevated experience. Actionable tip: Invite a favorite friend out to lunch or over for dinner this week.
- Cherish small purchases. I still remember a decade later how my French roommate Carole declared with excitement one evening that she bought a new jar of face cream. Her sister and our roommate Ombeline oohed and oh la la-ed over the jar as well as I sat in the corner thinking, "What's the big deal?!" But what I came to realize is that even small purchases were made carefully and intentionally. I rarely saw my roommates purchase things other than food, so when they did buy something it was relished, and the decision was made with care. And thus, the joy of such purchases lived on. When you learn to savor small items, the use of these things feels like a self-care moment every time you utilize them or twist open the jar.
- Allow space. I find that it is so flipping tempting to overbook my calendar. Its almost a feeling of, 'If I'm not busy, I must be lazy or just wasting time or lacking purpose.' Anyone feel me? But, when we allow space and time to decompress and resist the constant going and doing, we connect better with the beauty that is held in the present moments. Actionable tip: Put your phone on airplane mode, and carve out some time to revel in welcoming the fall. I.e. Make a batch of these, read a book or magazine, doodle, or grab a coffee + a stroll with a loved one. Make time to allow things to unfold spontaneously.
- Dream. Some call it visualizing, other say dreaming. Both don't cost a thing. Before bed or first thing in the morning, make it a habit to dream big. Imagine everything going your way; imagine your dream life. What would it look like? If you want your dreams to make their way into reality, become clear about what you want and express it to the universe. Write it down, pray, speak it aloud, and be clear on what it is that you want. Feel what it feels like to land that dream job, let go of heartache, say yes to a dream vacation, and manifest your dreams into reality. A simple exercise that holds immense power.
- Allow for things to resonate with your soul. The feeling of a great song. A bite of a seasonal treat. A quiet moment all to yourself. Crisp morning air. When you can allow for space and joy in your life (see #3!), you begin to connect more fully with small treasures in the present. When you allow yourself to slow down and open your eyes to feel what is around you, you begin to notice how fall light is beautiful beyond words, a phone call to a friend transforms your day, and a new book feels like a treasure. Actionable tip: Make a list of things that speak to you on a soul level.
- Elevate what you already have to do. You eat every day. So make it special by setting the table, lighting candles, and buying good ingredients. Play music when you are in the shower, pay attention and become genuinely interested in the conversations you have, wear your favorite outfit. Look at what you have to do every day. How can you make those activities more enjoyable? When the simple tasks of every day become more enjoyable you notice that these activities become fulfilling and you need less. Less food, less stuff, less distraction, less this, less that. And you start living more.
And to welcome the cozy season that is fall, here is a playlist for you to enjoy and set a comfy tone for your home. I so hope you enjoy it and that it helps to elevate the simple tasks in your own home as it does for me.
Coming October 1, I am so excited to be releasing my newest offering : "Personalized Meal Plans + Self-Care Support." I know that prescribed diets and lifestyle are a drag, and many of us need the one on one support of a health coach without the price tag of a long term coaching program. This is my way to help you reach your wellness goals, feel AMAZING, and finally find peace with the food on you plates. If you are someone who has tried every diet out there and wants to stop feeling you have to fit into picture perfect mold of eating every. darn. day. ... but still feel great... this my friends, is for you. Find out more here before the launch on October 1! Xo