Are you wanting to feel more grounded, even keeled, or lose a few pounds?
Believe it or not, breakfast has a huge impact on how you feel and what you crave for the rest of your day. Breakfast even helps set the tone for your mood, hormones, and your overall energy.
When you start the day with a carby breakfast, let's say a muffin and a coffee or a stack of pancakes, it spikes your blood sugar and plummets not long after (approximately 2 hours later). We've all felt the effects of low blood sugar: feeling hangry, irritable, overwhelmed, and/or fatigued with the whole day still in front of us. High then low or unstable blood sugar leaves you craving more carbs, sugar, and caffeine to gain energy and instantly boost your blood sugar. It creates a cycle of constant hunger, cravings, and mood imbalance.
But! When you start the day with protein, fat, and greens you are setting yourself up to feel ground and satiated for hours. Your blood sugar doesn't spike or fall drastically, you feel more calm (especially if you didn't have that cup of coffee) and your energy is more stable and reliable.
You may be thinking, "But my blood sugar levels are fine and I'm not diabetic." Everyone experiences fluctuations in their blood sugar, diabetic or not. And most people don't know how to properly balance their blood sugar in order to feel great. It's not our fault, we just live in a world with lots of food distractions (treats, caffeine, sugar, and processed foods) and health contradictions that leave many of us confused with what to eat in order to feel and look our best. But, when you learn the information about how to get a handle on your blood sugar, it can be amazingly freeing!
Here are some breakfast ideas that will start your day in a balanced and centered foundation:
- green smoothie with spinach, berries, almond milk, almond butter, + vanilla protein powder
- full fat cottage cheese (if dairy is tolerated well) with chiaseeds, sliced almonds, + blueberries
- scrambled eggs with grass fed butter or coconut oil, avocado, sautéed kale, and a small portion of berries
- full fat yogurt (unsweetened) with 1 tablespoon MCT oil, chiaseeds, walnuts, + 1/4 chopped strawberries
- lox + capers, avocado, and a side of sautéed cabbage with butter and caraway seeds
- mushroom + spinach + cheese frittata
- soup with veggies + organic chicken sausage
- sautéed greens (i.e. chard, kale, or cabbage) topped with 1/2 an avocado and 1-2 tablespoons of hemp seeds
- breakfast tostada: 1 crispy corn tortilla, black or refried beans, sautéed spinach, fried egg, sour cream, + green onions
And lastly, if mood imbalance, low energy, and excess weight around the middle is what is getting you down, sign up for a free 45 minute wellness consultation with me! I will show you how to eat for feeling good + balanced, elevate your self-care so you feel emotionally full and won't gravitate toward a whole pint of ice cream, and live a happy, healthier life.