Getting started eating healthfully can seem like a daunting task... thats for sure. Changing any type of habit, whether it be your food habits, lifestyle habits, emotional habits, or relationship habits always takes work and dedication. BUT, the good news is that you can make it easier on yourself by setting yourself up for success.
In successfully changing any habit, one of the most important things you can accomplish is to surround yourself in an environment geared towards meeting your goals. For example, if you want to stress less and increase peace and tranquility in your life: paint your walls serene colors, fill your space with live plants, and try diffusing lavender essential oil or burning your favorite candle. In terms of eating wholesome, the one MAJOR way to set yourself up for success is to stock your fridge and cupboards with foods that you love and help you feel great. Having nutritious foods on hand in your home makes it a lot easier to make smart decisions come dinner or snack time. Below are some ideas getting started building your wholesome pantry and eating more nutritiously.
- When grocery shopping, fill the bottom (larger) portion of your cart with only whole foods and keep the smaller upper portion for a few packaged options like tortillas chips, organic canned soups, etc.
- Display seasonal fruit on the counter: great snack, whole & delicious, not to mention beautiful
- Keep items on hand that make for smart snacks and/or small meals (make an idea list and put it on the fridge) : nut butters/rice cakes/honey, avocados/black beans/corn tortillas, low sugar or better yet homemade granola/organic yogurt, celery/carrots/hummus, bone broth, sea veggie snacks
- Nuts and seeds are superstars: Adding these guys to salads, soups, smoothies for extra an extra punch of nutrients to keep you satisfied and energized
- Fresh greens are king: The easiest meal base is some fresh produce from the farmers market. Add your favorite protein, some nuts/seeds, and seasonal veg for a light and tasty meal. Try picking up fresh herbs to add to meals such as basil, dill,rosemary, and mint. They can take a dish or snack to a new level and make it more interesting.
- Always keep handy wholesome breakfast basics to start your day off right. Foods like oatmeal, smoothies, eggs with greens, and fruit will ensure a positive start to your day.
- Opt for whole grains like brown rice or quinoa and root vegetables such as sweet potatoes rather than reaching for bread at meals.
- Make a good dip. Wholesome dips such as pestos, guacamole, hummus, and salsa are easy and simple choices for snacks and can be add to quick meals to increase flavor.
- In the mood for a sweet treat? Whip up a batch of your favorite healthful cookies (have you tried these??) and keep dough balls in the freezer for a snappy and easy treat in under 10 minutes. Keep packaged cookies for special occasions or skip them all together.
So, the next time you head to the grocery store, focus on collecting the most amount of whole foods possible, while giving less attention to their processed counterparts. Adventure outside of your food comfort zone and seek out some ingredients that are unfamiliar. Try new veggies, grains, fruits, and condiments. This will keep you from getting bored and more likely to stay on track to live a more successful, healthy lifestyle. And most importantly... be open and have fun with it!